For a simple Sunday supper, try this nutritious and delicious Spinach
Cheese Pie. You can have the pie in the oven within a few minutes, then
be free to do something else while it bakes to perfection.
The secret to this pie is the freshly grated nutmeg. It really makes it zing!
So don’t substitute ground nutmeg from a spice tin – get a whole nutmeg
and grate a little of it yourself for this dish!
- 1 (16 oz.) pkg. chopped frozen spinach, cooked and well drained
- 3 eggs
- 1 lb. low-fat cottage cheese
- 4 oz. shredded lowfat cheese or tofu
- ¼ c. minced onion
- Dash of freshly grated nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9-inch pie pan with cooking spray
- Combine all ingredients, mixing gently, then pour the mixture into the pie pan and bake for 1 hour or until browned on top and knife inserted in center comes out clean
- Add some warm crusty bread with butter, a glass of wine, and a tossed salad and your simple
- supper is complete and ready to eat.
- Top the pie with slices of fresh tomatoes once it's done, then return it to the oven for a few more minutes so the tomatoes set.
- Crumble a few slices of crisp bacon and add them to the cheese and spinach mixture before baking