In this day and age, the advent of dishwashers could be thought to protect our hands from the premature ageing caused by repeated washing up. Yet one of the first giveaways of age is still the hands.
The hands are exposed to a variety of daily challenges. Firstly, they tend to be uncovered for most of the day. This means that the weather can really take its toll, whatever the climate is doing. Sunny weather poses a risk of sun damage, causing premature ageing with fine lines and sun spots. Equally, cold weather can be very drying and in extreme cases chill blains or even frostbite could be a risk. Windy weather also dries out exposed skin on the hands.
While we are used to protecting our faces with intensive moisturisers and we all know about the importance of sun block, we tend to forget our poor hands.
Here are a few tips for daily hand care to help to protect and repair delicate hand skin:
DAILY HAND CARE TIPS
- Keep hands well moisturised with regular hand cream or lotion throughout the day.
- Ensure you put sun-block on your hands in the same way as you would your face – even in winter – as exposure to the sun can cause age spots and premature ageing.
- Wear warm and windproof gloves in the winter to keep hands warm and dry and prevent the skin from drying out.
- If you can’t delegate household duties (!) always use gloves while washing up, cleaning or gardening.
- When you wash your hands, choose a mild and moisturising soap.
- A weekly soak in a warm oil bath can help to revitalise and remoisturise the hands.
PROFESSIONAL HAND REJUVENATION TREATMENT
Simple daily measures can help, but for tired-looking hands, there are professional treatments too.
Depending on individual requirements, the following treatments could be considered:
- Mesotherapy – use of many tiny injections into the skin. Natural substances such as vitamins or homeopathic products.
- Dermal fillers – to replenish lost volume and gently plump out loose skin for a younger look.
- Micro-needling – treatment to stimulate the body’s production of collagen for firmer, tighter skin.
- Chemical peels – intensive exfoliation, which also kick-starts the skin’s own renwal processes.
Don’t ignore or neglect your hands; just a little daily care will help and a professional treatment could rejuvenate the appearance of hands by several years, gently replenishing the delicate and over-exposed hand skin.
clinicbe has an innovative approach to skincare based on treating the patient as a whole in order to get the best possible results from any treatments they may have. Consultation includes dietary and lifestyle advice as well as reviewing medical history and skincare concerns. Popular treatments include dermal fillers, botox, mesotherapy.