Did you know Robert Downey Jr. and Tom Cruise are just 5′ 7″ tall? Or Lady Gaga and Vanessa Hudgens are only 5′ 1″ tall? Don’t they look much taller than they actually are? Surely, the high priced custom suits and dresses make them look taller, but they look deceptively tall because they know exactly what to wear and exactly how to wear it. Now it is about time for the ordinary person to get in on these Hollywood secret fashion tips to look taller.
Fashion tips to look taller
- Pick slim, skinny, or classic fit. Baggy or loose fit will make you look broader and shorter.
- Stay clear of full pockets or anything that causes looseness or puckering around the hips.
- Low rise pants will make your legs look much shorter and wearing pants too high on the hips will make your upper body appear shorter so pants must fit right above your hips.
- Stay clear of turtlenecks like the black plague! These hide your neck and make you look stumpy.
- Tucking in your shirt emphasizes your legs so if you have shorter legs, don’t tuck in your shirt!
- Always wear form fitting shirts. Loose shirts will make you look like a box.
- V-necks make your torso appear longer so you should have plenty in your wardrobe.
- Opt for bigger, bulkier designs like boots since they will make your feet bigger and consequently, you will appear taller.
- High heels are great but you might wish to be a little more discrete in gaining inches to your height. So consider using hidden height enhancing insoles.
- Go for tighter, form fitting jackets. These will make you look slimmer and longer.
- Jackets need to fall a little below the buttocks.
- Avoid blazers with more than 3 buttons. Besides being bad fashion, this will make you look shorter.
- Wear vertical patterns such as pinstripes, herringbone, and chalkstripes. Vertical patterns lengthens your body and gives the illusion of being longer.
- Avoid designs and patterns such as plaid, checked, or other pattern that break up the vertical effect.
- Your top and bottom need to be the same color or the closest shade possible. This will prevent breaks in your body which gives the illusion of one long, fluid body.
- Dark colors, especially black, has a slimming effect that makes chubbier individuals appear slimmer and shorter people longer.
- When shopping, select lighter fabrics. Heavier fabrics have the tendency to make you look bulky, broad, and short.
When optimizing your outfit to look taller, fit is perhaps the most important factor. Avoid baggy, loose clothing at all times! Rather, go for tight fitting, slim designs. Obviously, it helps immensely if you are slim and trim in the first place. If you can not find the right fit, getting your clothes customized is a viable alternative and one that ought to be taken advantage of. Lastly, how tall you look is in the eye of the beholder, so if you carry yourself confident and tall, you will appear taller.