Food is the most important factor that majorly affects our health. We all want to be healthy and live long lives but we are not always eating the right meals. One of the main reasons why most of us are not eating healthy is because we don’t know how to cook healthy or we don’t even know how to cook at all. In the past, people lived long and strong and it had something to do with their food. They ate fresh, organic, and healthy meals that were prepared at home. There weren’t a lot of fast food chains and casual dining restaurants. Home cooked meals tasted better anyway. But the incoming generation of young adults today weren’t raised in the kitchen. They may be tech savvy and smart but most of them don’t even know how to boil an egg.
If you’re guilty of all that, then maybe it’s time to change. Enjoy healthy, hearty meals that are low in fat and are rich in nutrients and not with junk. What I will be sharing here today is on how to cook food without oil or butter. I know it’s tempting to take out your oil and fry everything but that’s not the way to do it. Oil can add an unwanted amount of unhealthy fat even in everything. So no, this is not the part where I tell you to grab your olive oil. Those who are adept in the kitchen may already be familiar with the following techniques since they are fairly basic knowledge but for those people who have never picked up a pot in their lives, here’s how you do it.
- Sautee without oil. I know sautee means cooking food in oil but forget about that. Instead, use water or vegetable stock. If you’re cooking vegetables, you only need to add small amounts of water since vegetables already contain water in them.
- Poaching. Eggs aren’t the only thing you can poach, you know. You can poach red meat and white meat in vegetable stock or chicken stock or wine and even milk. Immerse your food in flavorful liquids and let it simmer until cooked.
- Broiling. Broiling is like grilling, you place your food directly in the source of heat. This is a great way to burn the fat in meat and chicken and let it drip while it cooks.
- Another technique you can do is braising your food. Braising requires two steps. First, cook your food in the pan. Next, add broth or other flavored liquids and let everything slow cook.
- Lastly we have baking. Baking doesn’t require oiling food, just shove it in there, set the time and wait for it to cook, just like a big microwave. All baking recipes will tell you what temperature to set your oven so read carefully to avoid burning.
You do not have to be a whiz in the kitchen to make delicious food. The keyword here is simple. Keep your ingredients simple and use as much organic vegetables as you can. Try new recipes every now and then. It’s a great feeling to serve meals that you’ve prepared yourself.