A couple of fine lines or a hint of greying hair are the signs of ageing, which is inevitable. However, facial treatments sans surgery, skin rejuvenation creams, and products for hair care are effective solutions for anti ageing after 50.
In this article, I will highlight the tips for anti ageing after 50, especially when it comes to skin. Women over 50 will greatly benefit by these tips, which help them enhance their innate beauty.
Effects of Age on Skin and Hair
Spending large amounts of time in sunlight, genetic factors, improper diet, and smoking have detrimental effects on the skin. Obesity and stress, too, have harmful effects on skin. When you age, the skin fails to produce new cells rapidly, like it did when you were young. Hence, the skin becomes dry and loses elasticity. The detrimental effects are seen in the hair as well. During the process of ageing hair pigment cells demonstrate less efficiency in the renewal process, making hair grey.
8 Skin Care Tips for Anti Ageing after 50
By following simple tips for anti ageing after 50, you can look younger. Here’s how you get started.
1) Stop Smoking: Studies have shown that smoking results in premature ageing of the skin.
2) Avoid Tanning Salons & Sunbathing: It is necessary to avoid direct contact with sunlight between 10:00 am and 2:00 pm because sunlight is strongest during this time. If going outdoors is unvoidable, wear sunglasses, long-sleeved shirts, or a hat. Research has linked blotchy complexion, age spots, and freckles with exposure to sunlight.
3) Treat Dry Skin: Make use of a humidifier. In addition, use lotions and moisturising soaps.
4) Focus on Healthy Diet and Hydration: Proper nutrition helps the skin repair itself. By consuming large amounts of water, you can ensure that your skin stays hydrated.
5) Wear sunscreen when outdoors: Use sunscreen having an SPF of 30 or higher and which provides protection from both UVA and UVB rays.
6) Undergo Checks for Skin Cancer: If your skin undergoes major changes, consult a doctor immediately. Elderly individuals and people with fair skin are at a higher risk for cancer. Hence, a yearly check is recommended.
7) Give anti ageing products a shot: There are several anti ageing after 50 products in the market. Several lotions and creams can rejuvenate your skin, thereby enhancing its natural beauty. Pentapeptides are a chemical compound that help the skin cells in the production of collagen, which makes the skin more firm. Other options include retinoid creams and prescription medication.
8) Enhance your Knowledge: Dysport and Botox injections can eliminate wrinkles on the upper regions of the space. Chemical peels help reduce fine lines and smoothen the skin near the mouth and eyes. Wrinkle fillers can erase lines, resulting in a plump skin. Microdermabrasion eliminates ultra-fine lines, enhances skin tone, and helps in the rejuvenation of your complexion. Last but not the least, laser resurfacing improves skin that is damaged by the sun and reduces scars and other problems related to facial skin.