10 Hair Care Basics
It’s no secret that every woman wants healthy hair from root to tip. So here are some basic tips on how to get the hair you want.
1. Choose your hair stylist carefully. A good hair stylist will educate you on what they are doing to your hair and how to maintain it. A hairstylist’s duty should go beyond giving you a fly style.
2. Limit the use of Heat. The everyday use of heat appliances like curling irons and flat irons can lead to dried out hair. If your hair is severely damaged, then try not to use a lot of heat on the hair (if possible totally avoid it). This includes hot water, flat irons, hot curling irons, or hot blow dryers. How about going back to Roller Setting your hair? But instead of using the hair dryer – allow it to air dry.
3. Prevent over-processing. For touch-ups, apply relaxer to new growth only. To prevent breakage go no longer than three months between touch-ups.
4. Do regular deep conditioning treatments. Conditioning your hair is a must, especially during the summer months. Use an intensive conditioning agentand an intensive treatment once per week. Tip: Mix a Vitamin-Fortified Conditioner with a natural oil like Jamaican Black Castor oil or organic coconut oil for a deep conditioning treatment. Leave in for 15-20 minutes, then rinse and style as usual.
5. Trim ends regularly. You should get a trim every six to eight weeks to prevent split ends.
6. Rinse properly. Be sure to thoroughly wash your hair, as build up can leave a film and rob sheen.
7. Handle wet hair with care. Use a wide tooth comb to untangle hair, starting from the ends up to the roots.
8. Oil your scalp sparingly. Use only a dime size amount of pomade or oil on your scalp. Using more than that will clog your pores.
9. Carefully care for your natural hair. Whether you have braids, locks or twists, take special care of your edges because they are vulnerable to breakage.
10. Wrap it up while you sleep. Use a silk or satin scarf to wrap your hair at night. Some experts even suggest sleeping with a satin pillow case just in case your scarf comes off while sleeping. This is because cotton pillow cases tend to dry the moisture out of the hair.