Skin discolouration is the result of overproduction of the skin’s natural pigmentation called melanin in certain areas. The discolouration affects the top layer of the skin, leaving you with brown patches. Excessive exposure to sun is the main factor that causes discolouration. This, coupled with poor diet, liver problems and indigestion can also cause skin discolouration. The effective approach to treat this condition is to eliminate the discolouration and prevent the reoccurrence. There are many natural skin care products available in your kitchen itself that will help you take care of this condition. Let us look at some home remedies to deal with skin discolouration:
- Apply juice of lemon with a cotton ball twice daily. Since lemon juice is acidic in nature, it serves well to remove the top layer of discoloured skin. Within six to eight weeks you may be able to see visible difference. Rubbing your skin with red onion can also produce the same effect.
- Try washing your face with virgin olive oil and warm, wet washcloth. Extra virgin oil can smooth your skin and add the required moisture helping fade brown spots too. All you need to do is apply the olive oil and wipe clean with warm, wet washcloth. You can follow it up with lemon juice and water to rinse off for better results.
- On your discoloured skin, massage castor oil when the rough layer is present. It may help smooth out skin as well as break down excess melanin. If you have large spots, wearing a bandage soaked in castor oil overnight.
- Eating plenty of vitamin C rich foods such as broccoli and citrus fruits are essential to help your skin fight off free radical damage. Vitamin C helps repair skin tissues and helps healing process from within.
- Drink tea made from burdock, red clover or milk thistle which cleanses the blood stream and aids remove skin discolouration. These herbs are antioxidants which help cleanse the environmental toxins.
There are a few pointers to manage and reverse skin discolouration:
- While taking care of the aesthetic details is important, you must ensure that it is not a serious condition. Consult a skin doctor if you suspect something serious.
- Identify the causes of discolouration. Excessive exposure to the sun, some medications, pregnancy, ageing, and poor diet could be potential reasons as to why you are experiencing unsightly discolouration which is often termed as hyperpigmentation.
- Try something gentle on your skin to start off treatment. You can apply lemon juice to the affected area twice a day to treat the topmost layer of the skin. Castor oil is believed to break down melanin which causes dark spots. Dark spots can also be treated with glycolic acid or lactic acid.
- If home remedies such as those mentioned above haven’t given you the desired results, then you can opt for Body Beautifying Milk which can help keep your skin hydrated while also reducing signs of discolouration, pigmentation, and signs of premature ageing. This lightweight body and face moisturizer can help deal with spots, scars, and stretch marks. The formula is free of hydroquinone and is made up of natural ingredients which not only help control sebum production but also hydrate and tone skin, thus reducing signs of premature ageing. To start seeing visible difference in skin, it will take a couple of weeks of regular use. It would be better to make this product a part of your daily skin regime for best results.
The ingredients of the formula which help you get a softer, toned and smoother skin are Evening Primrose Oil, Dimethicone, Mulberry Root Extract, Cetearyl Alcohol, Bearberry Extract, Propylene Glycol,Escin, Hawthorn Extract, Glycyrrhetinic Acid, Carrot Oil, Retinyl Propionate, Allantoin, Disodium EDTA, Citric Acid, Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Licorice Extract, DMDM Hydantoin and Fragrance.