This dessert is a great dish to bring to a pot luck meal, serve as a treat for your family, or just to enjoy on an individual basis. It is fun and easy to make, so spend some quality time with your children, and include them in the process. Also, if blueberries aren’t your berry of choice, consider substituting them with another preferred berry, like strawberries, black berries, or mixed berries.
Blueberries are extremely healthy. Just one serving of blueberries, which is one cup, contains only 80 calories. They are also very high in vitamin C, and contain a healthy amount of fiber, vitamin A and potassium, as well. Blueberries are a great anti-oxidant which fights cancer and heart disease. According to MayoClinic.com, they are a great source of phytonutrients which are compounds that are good for the brain and enhance the memory, as well as, fight brain related diseases like Alzheimer’s disease. I used the “Heart Healthy Bisquick” that has less fat, carbohydrates, and calories than the regular kind. With the exception of the sugar, this recipe doesn’t just taste good, it is good for you. As far as the sugar, feel free to use less than the recipe calls for
- Cobbler Mix Ingredients.
- • 1 Cup Bisquick.
- • 1 Cup Sugar.
- • 1 Cup Milk, Skim.
- • Blueberry Filling Ingredients.
- • 5 Cups Blueberries.
- • ½ Cup Sugar.
- • ⅓ Cup Flour.
- • ½ Teaspoon Cinnamon.
- • ⅛ Teaspoon Sea Salt.
- Cobbler Mix Instructions: Combine all three ingredients, and mix them until the batter is consistent (it should be kind of watery compared to pie dough, cake mix, and pancake batter).
- Pour the mixture into a 9 x 13 baking dish or a baking dish similar in size.
- Set the dough aside to make the blueberry filling which should only take about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Blueberry Filling Instructions: Wash the berries thoroughly. Sift through the blueberries looking for over ripe, under ripe, or moldy, and throw them away.
- In a large bowl mix the blueberries, sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt with a rubber spatula.
- Pour the mixture over the Bisquick cobbler mix. You may also store the dough in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 24 hours.
- Bake the cobbler at 400 degrees for 40 minutes.
- Allow the cobbler to cool for 10 minutes before serving with your topping of choice, or just plain.