Botox is commonly used in the treatment of wrinkles, frown lines and crows feet. Over time these wrinkles will become permanent even when you’re not frowning. The Botox treatment involves using a series of targeted injections that relax the muscles that cause the lines and wrinkles.
The result is smoother, younger looking skin and you’ll be amazed when your wrinkles smooth out after a day or so, restoring your face to a more youthful and relaxed look.
The Botox works by blocking the nerve impulses to the muscle that trigger wrinkle causing contractions. Botox is one of the safest and most widely researched cosmetic products available today. The treatment can cause a little discomfort and redness may also appear on the treated area, but this will disappear after an hour or so. Results can be seen after as little 48 hours and last for around 4-6 months. There is no recovery period, bruising or swelling after treatment. Botox® does not cause any loss of facial expressions. Only the treated areas will be affected.
Botox treatment is relatively quick, an initial consultation takes around 30 minutes, and then the treatment itself takes 15-30 minutes, depending on the area to be treated
Is treatment with BOTOX Cosmetic painful?
Discomfort is usually minimal and brief. Prior to injection, your physician may choose to numb the area with a cold pack or anesthetic cream. The entire procedure takes approximately 10 minutes. Most patients are in and out of the physician’s office without downtime following BOTOX Cosmetic treatment.
Side effects associated with the injection include localized pain, infection, inflammation, tenderness, swelling, swelling, redness, and/or bleeding/bruising.
Will I still be able to make facial expressions?
Although the results are visible, a treatment with BOTOX Cosmetic (onab tulinumtoxinA) will not radically change your facial appearance or make you look as if you’ve “had work done.” The muscle activity that causes frown lines between the brows is temporarily reduced, so you can still frown or look surprised without the wrinkles and creases between your brows.
Do not take BOTOX Cosmetic if you have:
- are allergic to any of the ingredients in BOTOX or BOTOX Cosmetic. See the Medication Guide for a list of ingredients in BOTOX and BOTOX Cosmetic.
- had an allergic reaction to any other botulinum toxin product such as Myobloc or Dysport
- have a skin infection at the planned injection site
You should also not be treated with BOTOX® Cosmetic if you have:
- A disease that affects your muscles and nerves (such as amyotrophic lateral sclerosis [ALS or Lou Gehrig’s disease], myasthenia gravis or Lambert-Eaton syndrome). See “What is the most important information I should know about BOTOX and BOTOX Cosmetic?” in the Medication Guide
- allergies to any botulinum toxin product
- had any side effect from any botulinum toxin product in the past
- a breathing problem, such as asthma or emphysema
- swallowing problems
- bleeding problems
- plans to have surgery
- had surgery on your face
- weakness of your forehead muscles, such as trouble raising your eyebrows
- drooping eyelids
- any other change in the way your face normally looks
- are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. It is not known if BOTOX Cosmetic can harm your unborn baby.
- are breast-feeding or plan to breastfeed. It is not known if BOTOX Cosmetic passes into breast milk.
What will happen to the moderate to severe frown lines between my brows if I choose not to continue treatments?
If you do not continue treatments, the moderate-to-severe frown lines between your brows will gradually return to the way they looked before treatment.
Do treatment results differ?
Yes, individual results may vary. To get the best results, it’s important to go to a doctor who is experienced in administering BOTOX Cosmetic. You may want to consider choosing a doctor from the BOTOX Cosmetic Find a Doctor tool.
Dr Sia Maani